Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Working Out: A Long-Term Investment in your Health

Ever since I left NYC a little over a year ago, I have been a lot less physically active. One of my favorite aspects of NYC was the fact that even on days where I didn't make it to the gym, I still got plenty of exercise walking up and down the city streets.


View Looking Downtown from Central Park


Having traded in that NYC lifestyle, I now depend on my car to get most places. Even the closest grocery store is not really in walking distance of our house.

When I lived in NYC, I was lucky enough to have an affordable gym located on the top floor of my apartment building. Although the gym didn't offer any classes, it did provide brand new equipment and an indoor pool. I didn't quite take advantage of the gym as much as I should have, and I definitely miss having a great gym so nearby.

After settling in to my new home in Florida, in an effort to save money, I tried workout videos in lieu of joining the gym. However, I found that I wasn't pushing myself hard enough and was quickly losing interest. 


Sometimes all I want to do is snuggle up on the couch next to this guy!



Lately I've been feeling a lot more motivated to get back in shape, so even though we will only be living in Florida for about another 6 to 8 months, I've decided to "bite the bullet" and join a gym.

I opted for a gym with two convenient locations that offer an array of classes, including zumba, which is one of my faves! Although it is not the cheapest gym in the area, it is the best option for me.

From past experience, I have learned that I have trouble motivating myself to head to the gym for a 30 minute run on the treadmill. But, if I know there is a class at a certain time that I want to attend, I get a lot more excited to hit the gym. It feels like a lot less work if you are having fun, right?

I look at the extra cost of the gym as an investment in my health for the long-term. A little extra money spent up front will hopefully mean fewer healthcare costs later...think preventative care. Not to mention that since I will be working many 12+ hours a day over the next coming months, I know I will welcome the stress relief and endorphins from hitting the gym.

Has the cost of a gym membership been holding you back from being physically active? Stay tuned for my next post which will offer some tips for fitting the gym in your budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment