Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Delicious Post-Workout Snack

The past few days the weather here has been beautiful, finally! After a summer full of temperatures in the high 90's, I've been craving some cooler weather. Although I know fall down here will be nothing like the beautiful weather that I am used to, a girl can dream right? I know the temperatures are going to shoot back up soon, so I've been trying to take advantage of the nicer weather as much as possible.

I've been taking this guy for a 30-40 minute run/walk around our neighborhood in the late morning.
How can you say no to this face?

We love spending time outdoors together
Most of the walk is spent with Matson either pulling me to chase a squirrel or to meet a person on the street, so it usually turns in to more of an upper body workout than anything ;)


But Mom, Dad, there is something in the water...I NEED it!

Regardless of this behavior, I always enjoy the time we spend together, especially since I know it will be much more limited once I start my new job next week.

Post-workout Snack

So, anyways...after my little workout with the pup today, I decided to come inside for some post-workout fuel in the form of a mid-morning snack.

Yogurt parfait ingredients, yum!
I mixed together pineapple Chobani yogurt, cherry vanilla granola, and fresh raspberries for a delicious yogurt parfait. I know that may sound like a strange combination, but it was delicious! Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the final product before devouring it, I was hungry! Pairing together a carbohydrate (granola and fruit) with a protein (yogurt) maintains more stable blood sugars, helping to keep you full longer. When you eat a carbohydrate by itself, you produce an initial spike in your blood sugar that results in a rapid drop in your blood sugar leaving you feeling fatigued and hungry.

Another great thing about this snack, it was an affordable choice. You may be saying, "no way, I don't believe you!" But I promise, I'm not lying!

This week chobani yogurt was on sale for $1.00, which is a great price here. Then I had a $0.30 off coupon I printed from the chobani website. So, I paid only $0.70 for my favorite Greek yogurt! I may have stocked up on extras even though I only had one $0.30 off coupon.

The (non-organic) raspberries were on sale this week for $2.00. I used a handful of raspberries (about 1/4 of the package), so technically that was $0.50 for the cost of the raspberries.

I like to buy organic produce when possible, but we don't have a huge selection of organic produce here. Often the organic produce that is available is at least three times as expensive as the conventional produce. If I find a good sale on organic produce, I stock up! I also like to take advantage of the local farmer's market. Although most small farms are not certified organic, they typically report that they are growing their produce in an organic-style (i.e. without pesticides etc). Okay, enough on that tangent, organics will be a topic for another post at a later date!

The Back to Nature granola is something I purchased awhile ago. It was on sale for $3.79 as part of a Buy One Get One Free Promotion. I paired the sale price with some $1.00 off coupons I had for the items. At Publix, you can use two coupons on a BOGO promotion because you are technically "purchasing" two items. A great way to really save big! So I used two $1.00/1 coupons that I printed off the internet, and I paid $1.79 for two packages ($0.90 per package) of this delicious granola. That means that each serving of granola I use in my yogurt costs probably less than 10 cents...trust me this granola has lasted me a LONG time!

That brings the grand total for my breakfast parfait to less than $1.50! You can't say eating healthy can't be affordable. That is cheaper than going to the drive through for breakfast, and it took about 2 minutes to assemble the entire parfait!

No comments:

Post a Comment