Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Edamame Hummus

Clearly I am on a hummus kick with all these posts about hummus! I guess I'm craving the stuff. Back when I lived in NYC, my old roommate and I loved Trader Joe's edamame hummus. I've yet to find any other place that sells an edamame hummus. Since there is no Trader Joe's close to where I live now, I have been stuck longing for edamame hummus with no way to satisfy my craving. That is until I stumbled upon this recipe for edamame hummus the other day from Gina's Skinny Recipes. As I have all the ingredients, except tahini, in my pantry and refrigerator, I plan to give this recipe a try tomorrow. I plan to substitute sesame oil for the tahini as I happen to have some in my pantry.


                                                    Photo by Wokintime

What is edamame?
If you are not familiar with edamame, they are a type of green soybean often used in Asian cooking. Translated literally, edamame means "beans on branches." Edamame are slightly larger and sweeter than traditional soybeans grown in the United States.

Why should I try edamame?
Unlike most other beans, edamame provides all the essential amino acids, making them a source of complete protein. This means the protein they provide is very similar in quality to that found in meats, eggs and dairy products. This makes edamame a great option for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. In addition to their protien quality, these soybeans are also an excellent source of dietary fiber. Furthermore, the isoflavones present in soy may help protect against certain diseases such as heart disease.

The Nutrition Facts
Each 1/2 cup of edamame provides 120 calories, 11 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber and 2.5 g fat (1.5 g polyunsaturated fats, 0.5 g monunsaturated fats). In addition, these soybeans also provide vitamin C, vitamin A, B vitamins, calcium and iron.

How much will edamame cost me?
With all those health benefits, you are probably thinking edamame are too expensive for your budget. This is not true. On average, a 12 ounce bag of frozen edamame will cost around $3.00. This is only slightly higher than the cost of your average bag of frozen vegetables, but edamame are more than just your standard bag of frozen vegetables. Since they provide a source of complete protein, you can replace your standard protein of choice with edamame. Jump on the "Meatless Monday" bandwagon, and swap out your chicken, steak or seafood for some edamame.

Also, keep on the lookout for coupons for brands of edamame that are sold at your local grocery store. Publix recently had a sale on Cascadian Farms frozen vegetables. I paired that with a coupon I was able to find on the Cascadian Farms website, so I was able to stock-up on organic edamame for an even more budget-friendly price. (I'm not endorsing that brand over any other brand of edamame, it just happened to be on sale so I took the opportunity to stock up).

Where can I find edamame?
Edamame can be found in many grocery stores throughout the United States. I typically purchase frozen edamame still in their shells, as I find this to be a convenient and affordable option. If your grocery store has a sushi counter, you can typically find fresh edamame there, as well. Some stores, such as Trader Joe's, sell pre-shelled edamame that can make an easy addition to a salad or stir-fry. If you have never tried edamame, I suggest trying some today!

No comments:

Post a Comment